Sunday, September 5, 2010

Micah 6:8

I heard a message today. The message was one of those that people in church don't always like to hear. Except, when you're in church, it's rather conspicuous to stand up and walk out. It was about helping people. Really doing something to help people. It's sometimes easy and convenient to let the words of Jesus waft through the air, and latch onto the ones we like. "Your sins are forgiven..." "Neither do I condemn you..." "You are the light of the world..." "Do not let your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid..."
But what about those words that are harder to hear? What about those that cost us a lot more, and cost Him a lot more? Words like, "Love your enemies..." "Go and sin no more..." "when you pray, forgive if you have anything against anyone..." "if someone asks you to go one mile with him, go with him two..." "if you don' t forgive others, neither will my Father forgive you..." "judge not and you will not be judged..."
What do we do with these things? The speaker told the story of the rich young ruler who asked Jesus what he had to do to gain eternal life. Jesus tells him to obey the commandments he already knows. The man says that he's already doing that. Jesus says, and I'm paraphrasing,"ok, then. Go and sell all you have and give it to the poor." The man "goes away sad, because he was very wealthy." I don't believe Jesus is saying it's bad to have money. But, if money has us, then it is a problem. Convenient giving and selective occasional service don't really cost us anything. The love of God for us cost Him everything. If we give something up that we'd like, so that someone can have something they need, that is the beginning of sacrifice. Can we put some of our own stuff aside? Can we forgo that newer bigger better whatever, to let someone else know that they matter? Can we see the value in investing in the eternal well-being of another, or in the physical needs of another?
I know that when I hear words like this, and they make me uncomfortable, that it is a sign that I'm not doing enough. I pray that I may let the words of Jesus change me, particularly the words that are hard to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment